Friday, April 1, 2011

The wonders of brainstorming.

After the waSUPP event, things were picking up in the office as the election date was coming closer. The atmosphere got busier as many people came in and out of the office and many meetings were held throughout the day and night. I had a call to attend a meeting yesterday for this morning with a few of the ladies, under the ladies section of SUPP. One of them was Datuk Lorna, wife to party president Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr. George Chan, Councillor Bernice Lim who was in charge of an area in Miri and a few other women.

We discussed on the next few weeks, the plans of going into the nearby villages which were under the Datuk Patinggi’s location to campaign all the way to planning for the day that the prime minister would come to Miri on the 15th of April, the day before polling day. We proposed to hold activity based programs rather than talks, where we will get the villagers to hold cooking competitions for the women and colouring contest for the children. This plan was very interesting to me, as I have never taken any part in campaigning before and to watch the planning come into place I couldn’t help but feel excited for the next few weeks to come.

We targeted 4 villages in Miri which were Kampung Api-api, Kampung Merikan, Kampung Pulau Melayu and Kampung Silain.  We planned to go into the villages and find out the needs of the people and also to gain their loyalty and support during the election.

I was given the task to find and organise people throughout the event for instructions such as loading things and setting up the place in the villages before the event was to happen. For this to work out, I first had to find available people to help do the work. I managed to do this today through a few phone calls and found juniors of Curtin who wanted to earn some extra cash.

Today I learnt that brain storming sessions are very useful and necessary. Although some ideas do not seem possible, however when someone says it out, it may lead to a better idea by another person. The next step is to stick to one idea. Once that is done, the planning can take place.  


Blessings to all,
Rachel K. Bulan
PR practitioner in practice with SUPP
CURTIN MIRI CAMPUS

No comments: