Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Briefing a client before a radio show

Hey friends ! guess everyone is almost done with the report by now

During my internship I had to attend a briefing done to one of the clients of Imagine Communication. The client was from the Mauritius Employees Federation MEF and had to go for a radio show where he would have been asked a lot of questions about a particular issue that happened recently.

My boss and I went there and I could see for the first time how things are managed during crisis. To start with my boss told his client that at first, as a spokesperson he should be aware of every little issues, be conscious that point of view differ and that a lot of questions will be asked. Then my boss and his client prepared a series of potential questions that would probably be asked by listeners on that day. Those questions dealt with what are the future measures to be taken, what are the future plans for employees and so on.

I was there sitting and recording everything they said and what pleased me is that I could see for myself how things are done during a crisis, how the client trusted my boss and how the latter gave him hints and details about how he needs to handle the situation and how to get out from trouble if any. This actually was an inspirational experience because it differed from what I did everyday at work. This one was more real and made me think that one day perhaps I’ll need to help a client to manage a crisis.

Of course, the thing is that it’s quite obvious that I’ll a lot of years of experience in the field before being able to do it. Crisis management is not a simple thing to handle and one should be neutral, optimistic and the lesson I learned is that ETHICS is the key to a company’s /association’s reputation. The more ethical the company is, the more quickly it will get out of difficult situations.

Loveleen J

2 comments:

Buckz Pesi said...

hi, hope you enjoyed your internship, you really came across a very interesting situation of crisis management, hope you learn a lot from your boss. You mentioned that the client trusted your boss, that is very important in PR, your boss also should have trust in his/her client that what he/she is saying will be grasped by the client. Trust is even important between your work mates, if you trust each other and you are doing a project as a group there is nowhere failure will come into picture.

Wei said...

Hello there,

Yes I absolutely believe in crisis management and getting prepared for the "unprepared". As Murphy's Law goes, "What can go wrong will go wrong". Thus, it is very important that we should always prepare for the unforeseen circumstances. Especially in PR, where we constantly deal with the media, by preparing ourselves for any kind of crisis will safeguard a firm's reputation. By being unprepared for a crisis is definitely detrimental in one too many ways. This is to ensure damage control is done to the fullest extent in the most unexpected circumstances.