In order to promote the sport, funding and sponsorship support is essential. This is what Badminton WA lacks in. No matter the amount of enthusiasm or passion shown by members of Badminton WA, it is still not good enough as financial assistance is needed to promote the sport. I have been actively involved in helping Badminton WA secure sponsorships throughout. But the answer that i get from corporates are "Badminton is not a top-tier sport".
It is very discouraging for a Public Relations student like me, someone who is highly motivated and anticipating success. I sat down with my bosses to discuss the issues and after much brain-storming, we have decided to hold a corporate league.
The success of badminton in the European region was due to the introduction of the corporate league. Badminton WA aims to take a leaf from their European counterparts with hopes for success.
Many times, the success of a PR campaign lies on following other's footsteps. Of course, innovations and new ideas are needed but it is important to observe what others are doing.
2 comments:
I think you will often find that you will get funding for the mainline sports quite easily but when it comes to sports that are less common it would be quite difficult to get a company involved.
I have previously had to target funding for basketball in a previous role of mine and I found it is best to find out what the parents of the players do and work. That way you can often target their businesses and gain the funding and sponsorship that way.
In the end from my own probing I ended up being able to get a sound and stage company onboard along with a bank who both provided the teams with plenty of funding and even became primary sponsors with naming rights and plenty of promotional material.
You really need to find some sort of common link to be able to obtain the appropriate funding. While cold calling will lead to something eventually it is much easier and effective to do the appropriate research and gain support from those that are somewhat already involved in the sport. Good luck!
Hello Ronald Pang,
I have to admit, the thing that drew me to your post was the fact that it was about badminton. I am an avid badminton player which is why I understand how badminton is not a top choice of sports in Australia.
I am also commenting on this post because my PR Consultancy class has just taught a lesson about sponsorships two weeks ago.
This is a very hard task you have assumed the responsibility for. I must applaud you for embracing a challenge. I do also applaud you for your understanding of the success of badminton in Europe and applying that success to Australia.
Your remark on innovation versus observation is very relevant and well-observed. I hope Badminton WA secured sponsorships after all and wish you the best with your PR career.
Post a Comment