Thursday, May 26, 2011

Farewell ????

Its time to bid my farewell to my 20 days of work placement with Badminton WA. It has been a great learning experience and i have thoroughly enjoyed my time working. I must admit, at the start of the semester, i dreaded the thought of having to start my work placement. I was worried that i couldn't keep up to my boss' expectations.

But this work placement turned out to be a pleasant experience. My boss has been very patient in teaching the ropes of the industry and my colleagues have been very helpful and accommodating. I have accomplished a lot in my time as an intern with Badminton WA.

A few things that i have learnt;

1) Securing sponsorships sounds easy but........
Not at all! This is perhaps one of the hardest task of a PR practitioner; to come out with a win-win deal for both parties.

2) Once said, never back out........
As with all other professions, you are worth what you say!

3) Timeliness
Being punctual is important, plan ahead as everything in PR is about meeting deadlines.

4) Listen and do not speak.........
Unless you need to make a valid point. Being fresh graduates, we must listen and learn more than we speak.

5) Dress appropriately
We all want to look nice and presentable, don't we?

6) Be proactive and ......
Be responsive!

7) Be prepared for the 'unprepared'
There will always be something that crops up at the last minute irregardless of how well we plan it to be.

8) Always smile
A smile will go a long long way.

These are some of the many things that i learnt in my 20 days at Badminton WA. And for my good work, Badminton WA has requested for me to stay on to work for them on a casual basis, which i agreed. I hope to be learning much more even after my graduation!!! Good luck everyone!!

Best regards,
Ronald Pang

2 comments:

stonesrainbow said...

Totally agree with your Listen and do not speak point. Since we are just fresh graduates, there are many things in the work force that we are not experienced in, as compared to our more senior colleagues. It's always better to listen more than to talk. Listen, watch and learn. I guess that's the main lesson that I have learnt during my internship as well.

Abigail Ang
14553158

Fiona Tan said...

Hello Ronald

I agree to point four - Listen and do not speak only to a certain extent. To elaborate, during my internship with Robert Bosch (SEA) Pte Ltd, it seemed that my organization and management really practices empowerment and they actually like it when interns like us have opinions, in fact, they just put us in charge of projects and relatively large scale accounts.

I guess it really depends on the working environment and culture that we are involved in? Because in some organizations they classify voicing out and speaking as independence and taking initiative. So personally i feel that this point really depends on the corporate culture in which we as fresh graduates have to be adaptable to.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers