Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sandrine-CTI reflection on Internship

Hi everyone,

So this is my last post, tomorrow we are handing out the reports for submission.

During Internship I learned that sometimes theory completely matches what we learn in our books. For example doing my research for my report I found this quote, “Clearly communicating the mission and work in promotional efforts is one way nonprofit organizations can foster a strong relationship with donors. Public relations practitioners are often charged with the task of telling the story of their nonprofit organization in a compelling and complete manner. Fundraising expert Lee Jackman argued the more well-known your organisation is known the easier it is to give gifts (O'Neil 2008).”

I worked for Amnesty, and when I asked for sponsorship and told people I was working for Amnesty they would more easily give gifts. Moreover, I also learnt that excellent writing is essential in public relation. When you write a press release, and if you do not proof- read it well, it got get back to you in one way or the other. Besides, public relation is mostly about networking; to be a good PR you must know journalists. Even if your story is good, network is essential.

The thing, I most appreciated about my internship is that I was given the opportunity to write two articles, and was quite proud when they were published. However, deadlines for articles were tough, but overall the experience was worth it.

O'Neil J. 2008. Linking Public Relations Tactics to Long-Term Success: An Investigation of How Communications Contribute to Trust, Satisfaction, and Commitment in a Nonprofit Organization. Journal of Promotion Management 14 (3), 263-274. DOI:10.1080/10496490802623358

3 comments:

Loveleen said...

Hello Sandrine

I Somewhat agree when you say that theories may apply to real world.Books and tutorials are important.But yet during my internship I got to learn that things keep changing,situations differ from each other and we have to mould ourselves to them.As such the basics remain the same I agree.
On another side you mentionned the fact that Public Relations peace of works had to be well done each time.I agree because as a PR person you are assigned as the communicator of a client or company.It is your role to make the most for your client to appear as perfect as it should in the media

Best wishes and good luck for your report
Regards
Loveleen

Wei said...

Hello Sandrine,

With what you've offered in your post, I can't help but agree that essential writing skills is definitely a very important aspect of public relations. Since public relations is built around the walls of communication, everything that we do and say will make a mark in a project. And how well it is going to turn out or how badly it might become all depends on our communication skills. Therefore, it is certainly insightful that you have shared this aspect of discussion with everyone. Hope you enjoyed your internship!

XT said...

Hi Sandrine,

I cannot agree more to how important writing skills is akin to the communication skills. Both are ways of communications that PR practitioners are supposed to be well equipped with to be able to produce an angle which attract your target stakeholders. It is also essential to build relationship with people, especially the media because you might never know when you will need their help one day! Best wishes for you!