Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fire Station Tours

---------------------Posted on the behalf of Abigail Ang----------------------------
1 March 2011 (backdated)
As mentioned in my previous entry, as part of our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme, we conducted a Fire Station Tour, where the students got an exclusive tour of Changi Airport’s Fire Stations which are not accessible to public. For this event, I took a back seat and helped out whenever necessary.
The hair pulling moments of the event? The logistics and planning of the event. We had to gain approval from numerous parties, such as Airport Police, to allow the students to go through the security systems on the way to Changi Airport Fire Station. It was extremely time-consuming as we had to find means and ways to accede to their requests, for example, getting personal information from the students. There was a lot of waiting involved and we could do nothing as there were a lot of third parties involved. Also, we had to
Best part of the event? The smiles of the students and staff volunteers when our passionate and friendly Airport Emergency Services (aka as the firemen in layman terms) demonstrated fire fighting exercises for the students, and even let the students had a go at fire fighting. The students had fun putting out fire with the special water hoses, as well as trying on the “fire suit”. Kudos to our Airport Emergency Services guys for going all out to make the tour a success!
Since my boss knows I’m on PR attachment, I was given the chance to help out the Corporate Communications and Marketing division to give my inputs regarding the Fire Station Tours for an article for Changi Connection, which is only meant for private circulation among our company’s clients and partners. I had to sieve out what relevant information was to be included in the article, after which I had to clear with my boss. furthermore, the photos which I had picked out to include in the article, had to gain clearance from Airport Police that these photos are okay for publication, as I had mentioned before, Changi Airport Fire Station is a restricted area, so I was afraid that they might be a tad touchy if we had published the photos without their permission. Luckily they gave the green light for the couple photos that I chose.
Many apologies for can’t share any photos with you guys. Or else I have to go for another round of clearance from Airport Police (again). :P

No comments: