Hi everyone,
This is my first blog for PR 393 and I titled it as 'Introductory Blog' because i think that before i start posting blogs about my days during placement and so on, i want to talk a little bit about myself, who i am, what i do etc., so that people reading this blog could get a better idea of who i am.
Honestly, this is my first time blogging (as in blogging about myself or anything regarding me) - I don't know i've just never picked up blogging and have always felt uncomfortable and weird writing about me - but i am excited though and am curious how this will go. So i will try my best to share my feelings and thoughts throughout this unit as real as possible :)
I am an international student from Indonesia studying at Curtin. My childhood was spent here and after that I moved to Singapore for a while, then back to Jakarta and now back here in Perth to do my uni.
My childhood/highschool years was never perfect - i was always bullied, looked down, teased you name it i've been through that. I was a fun playful girl who loves a little bit of partying in highschool.. but unfortunately, most Asians back in my country always perceived me as the 'bad girl'. I was always a failing student back in high school - felt useless etc2, went through soo much peer pressure back then.
My parents really did not let me pursue my uni studies here in Perth - but from there it really hit me and i felt tired of people and especially my parents thinking that i was no good. So i really studied hard and made the most out of my time here studying in Perth. I might not be the brightest student in Curtin scoring HD's, but i tried my best and ihave never failed a single unit throughout my 3 year period here in Curtin.
I was never the bookworm type of person, more of the hands on kind of girl. I have always had a curious mind since young, always wanted to explore whats out there and what the world has to offer. I was very eager to grow up fast. when people ask me when i was young what i want to be when i grow up.. i just said - i want to be successful, make lots of money and be someone that people would look up to and admire. Ive always felt as though i had that motivation to chase my dreams as far as possible. Before, i have always regretted the rough childhood i experience - but now i thank every bit of it, because if it weren't for those moment, all the hardship i been through i would not have become the person i am today.
I used that motivation and started pursuing and building foundation for my future career. I still remember, mid break 2010 i was in Jakarta having my holidays - i just felt bored of all the relaxation and fun i'm having, so i sat in front of my laptop one fine day in my mom's office. I started writing a resume, and a cover letter requesting for internships. I googled all the listed PR firms in Jakarta, Singapore, and Malaysia that day. I remembered I sent almost 50-60 emails on that day - let me tell you.. the amount of rejections i received, it was harsh! But it did not stop me from trying. I kept waiting and waiting, checking my inbox for any good news.
Then this PR firm in KL replied and said they were interested in having me and plus they were sort of short of help at that time. With no doubt, i immediately booked a flight the next day to KL - bear in mind i did not know anyone there, had no where to stay, and i have never been to KL besides its airport and that is only for transit purposes. Fortunately i remembered a friend of mine who was there in KL at the last minute and ended up staying at her place.
I could never forget that time - i went there blindly - worst part is i did not know anything much about PR! At that time, I have only completed my PR principles unit and did not know the PR techniques like how to write a press release etc. So the nite before day 1 of the internship, i googled on how to write press releases! I was so scared that my boss would ask me to do it and i did not want to disappoint them. I took notes and wrote down all the do's and don'ts of writing a press release, even drew the outline/format of a press release - and guess what, it payed off!
There i was so proud thinking - gosh look at me im going to be all like Samantha Jones in Sex and the City - thinking that PR was going to be all glamorous.. I WAS WRONG! (till today i so want to sue that show - how the PR profession is portrayed in the show is so misleading, and i feel sad for those naive newbies studying PR principle thinking that that is the PR world! *laughs)
From being cheated on cab fares by cab drivers to waiting god knows how long for a bus to pick me up and from sitting down on the floor in a bookshop for hours doing media monitoring, and packing and sending press kits - it was tiring, hard, at times i just want to give up - but let me tell you it was so worth it! and i always look back to those time and thought, wow - i survived all that.
After that internship in KL, i went back to Perth and wanted to do more internships, so i started looking - and i got it with Perth's leading Corporate Image Consultants. During the time there, i really learnt the meaning of being professional and understood the importance of it in the business world. There was happy days, and days where i just felt - i cant do this anymore, i was mentally, emotionally and physically breaking down. I grew unhappier day by day, i knew i wasn't the best at everything but i really tried my best.. and i expected my seniors to really look after me and mentored me. Unfortunately the effort i put was clearly not enough in they're eyes. I felt unappreciated, useless because all the things i did was just unbelievably ridiculous sometimes. I did not feel that i was important in the firm. But i kept going and put a smile on my face.
Then i realised and evaluated my behaviour too. Even though i was giving 200 percent that time, i reckon my seniors felt that i was not focused and brought too much of my personal life into my work life. Which is a BIG NO that i can advice for newbies starting work/internships! i was picking up to much phone calls during my work there, etc.
Even though i was unhappy with the way i was treated sometimes, i just kept quiet and just carried on and be a team player at all times.. I left with the utmost respect for the team and my seniors, and until today i still feel grateful for the opportunity i had working with them. Because if it weren't for them, i would not have realised where i went wrong.
Recently, I just came back from another internship in Singapore. Out of all the internships, i would say it would be the best experience i have ever had. if i were to describe it with a few words, it would be - short and sweet.
I had the greatest mentors who were willing to help me become better, they taught me to not be afraid to speak up, to ask for help and not be afraid to make mistakes. I felt soo appreciated there, and was exposed to so many different things. Best part was, I enjoyed every second of it.
Gosh look at me, once i start writing i just cant stop. This is surprisingly very relaxing and enjoyable.
I hope people don't think that this blog is me trying to show off or anything like that. I honestly really just want to share with people what i went through, and probably or maybe it might be useful for you.
You will always come across difficulties in life, but i really believe that if you keep trying and you don't give up easily, nothing is impossible. I always believe that everything happens for a reason and always look at things on the brighter side.
Lets not stress about getting to where we want to be in life too much, but instead lets start enjoying and make the most out of each step of that journey - then once we get there, we could look back and see how far we've come and be more appreciative at what we have achieved.
My next blog will be my days during my placement at a graphic design company. Stay tuned! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment