Saturday, October 8, 2011

Our tutors weren't lying.. Planning is everything!

Hi everyone!

Here's my second (updated) instalment of my time with Hawaiian.

Now that the 14 gorgeous ladies (one finalist had to pull out for personal reasons) had been selected by our judges, things started progressing much faster with the team planning the parades with Perth Fashion Festival, the media launch for the Every Body Counts campaign and VIP after party.

Everything, from media liasing to goodie bags to catering to running sheets, was kept on top of with daily communication and fortnightly WIP meetings between the PR and Marketing team at Hawaiian, Carillon City and marketing consultants from Intersectcommunications. I found that the meetings were really good in the way that they were unstructured so encouraged more creativity in the discussions and brainstorming.

Seeing all of this from a 'behind the scenes' perspective was really interesting because there are so many finer details that require a lot of consideration and time that would more often than not be overlooked by the untrained eye. I know that we learn about this in our PR degree, but seeing it all in reality rather than plain theory allowed me to realise how important understanding these finer details is and the time allocation often required.

During these planning weeks, our 14 finalists were going through fittings, modelling workshops and being pampered on photoshoots! When I met up with some of the ladies for an interview with the West Australian, it sounded like so much fun, but here's a link to a behind the scenes video so you can see for yourself and meet some of the finalists!

Every Body Counts Behind The Scenes

Fast forward a few weeks and all this preparation and planning brought us up to the week of the parades, media launch and VIP after party. So until Blog #3...

Amanda
14140262

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Sounds like your placement is going really well! I would definitely have to agree with you about the planning aspect of events. Although we learn about event planning at uni it's not until you are actually involved on the other side that you realise how important thorough planning is. I think your comment about the 'untrained eye' is totally correct- it is those little things at the event that can make the difference. I worked at an event a few weeks back and some of those little things were missing, through a lack of planning or through being overlooked I'm not sure but they can make a big difference!

Good luck with your report!

Jaimi