So its been two weeks at my work placement, and i am loving every second of it! Having the opportunity to work in the marketing and public relations department of Satterley Property Group (SPG) has given me more 'Ah Ha' moments than anything I've ever done, it seems finally like my degree is making sense! Since commencing my placement i have been extremely busy, hence my late start to blogging. My first week involved writing 3 briefs (which i delivered in my second week) attending branding workshops with company executives, attending WIP meetings (Work in progress) which for those of you, like me, who didn't quite know what that meant, its when agency's come back to you with work they are in the process of completing or what they have completed and feel as though they are ready to present to the board. I have worked on the website as well as internal communication (EDM's) which has been a great learning experience. I've also managed to go out to the some of the new and soon to be launched estates and got a feel for what it is we are trying to do. An interesting fact about SPG is their commitment to building not only estates but communities, they actually build up a sustainable community before they finish up at an estate. I have had alot of fun learning new things from the community development department which i find have alot of PR practices.
Luckily i have had the most amazing people to work with, everything has been easy from day one and they have made me feel like a permanent member of the team which has increased my confidence and enjoyment of 'real life work'. Sometimes i do feel as though i have a million questions but the team seem to really enjoy helping me out and explaining things in more detail. I feel as though although there is many new things i am learning, i am able to bring fresh eyes and thanks to my degree i generally have a good understanding of what is expected.
I'll write more next week which is turning out to be full on indeed!!!
Thanks Guys
2 comments:
Hi Nicole! Seems your work placement is so interesting. Anyway, attending those meetings workshops or conferences is really a good experience for us. I believe this may help us in our career in the future. Besides, glad to hear that you have a group of amazing people to work with, so do I. To be honest, some people may ignore us *interns* because we’re just work with them with a short time, but thanks God that we have met good colleagues! Good luck for your internship! All the best!
Amy
Hi Nic,
As I am completing my placement at PPR, a public relations consultancy, I found it was interesting to read about your experiences in house at an organisation. Satterley Property Group is a large well-known company with countless projects and developments underway and great place to gain some industry experience. I have also had a few ‘Ah Ha’ moments – this is a great way of encapsulating what it is like to be in the ‘real world’ and bring into practice all the things you learn about in tutorials and lectures at university.
I am yet to participate in any out of office events or activities; however I think your experience of visiting estates would have been so beneficial in assisting your understanding of what Satterley is trying to achieve overall as an organisation. I will be lucky enough to participate in a conference called the Greenland Day Conference in a few weeks. This conference is hosted by the Greenland Government and it aims to promote Greenland’s abundance of natural resources and mining opportunities. I hope to gain that same organisational knowledge about PPR and how events are run through this conference.
I am constantly asking questions as well and I am grateful to have a knowledgeable and supportive team to assist me along the way and enhance my learning experience. It’s nice to have a comfortable work environment that you enjoy going to every day.
I wish you all the best for the rest of your placement and into the future.
Deanne
Post a Comment