Sunday, January 22, 2012

After a long..struggling job hunt!


Hello World!!

Hope you are all doing great.

I’m Kamna, a BA Mass Communication student from Charles Telfair Institute and one of the interns for Public Relations 393.

Lucky me! I have landed on my first job experience! Getting that internship was even more challenging!

After a long job hunt, I finally secured my internship at Odysseus Public Relations Agency. What I learnt during my job hunt was that we should job hunt the right way. Mr Veejayen, my lecturer for PR 393, truly said that “It’s always a numbers game! The more you apply, the more you stand a chance of securing an internship!”

So this is at Odysseus Public Relations Agency and I am barely 22. And, I wanted that internship desperately.

 Odysseus Public Relations is a Mauritius-based PR firm providing a full range of communication services to corporate clients since 2000, within the area of expertise in media relations and events management. They are a team of professionals with extensive knowledge and skills in the public relations sector for Mauritius.

Their continuing bond with international clients has helped them to guarantee that their PR activities are of a genuinely universal level. One of their key clients is Emirates, the Dubai based airline, for which they work since 2004. In real, they are Emirates’ PR agency for Mauritius and Seychelles.

One week before, I received a phone call and Odysseus Public Relations Agency offered me the internship!!!  The first meeting with the Director was very interesting. I must say that behind all his talks, I found out good knowledge on how the world of PR works. “Public Relations is all about logic!” That was a pretty normal conversation between him and me.

That first day was evidently filled with a lot of nerves, as to how the people would be and how I would deal with the pressures of not knowing anything, yet all together to have a respectable first- impression. 
 They were ready for me as they knew I was coming- an office, a computer and a telephone.  From the time I arrived, they treated me like privileged guest.

Expressively it was like being the new kid in school. You do not know anyone, you do not know your way around. But they have integrated me well in their environment and I just hope that I can make the best out of everything during this important internship.

See you very soon people!
J

2 comments:

archana said...

Dear Kamna,

I hope u are having a good time with your placement and im sure it will be very fruitful at the end of it.

Im sure you'll widen your knowledge and be able to face the work challenge... :)

best of luck.
Hope you make most of it.

Archana.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kamna,

It’s so nice to see that you have had a more than nice internship experience at Odysseus Public Relations Agency!

It’s true that looking for an internship is never easy and it’s a good experience for us future graduates because we had a foretaste of the job hunt that we will all go through after our studies, especially knowing that thousands of qualified students will end that degree at the same time!

Events are an integral part of public relations and they are indeed an important aspect of PR for the reasons that you have mentioned in your posts. I, myself, found it very fascinating to participate in event management during my internship! I do believe that events help us to create a good contact book and to learn many things out of it.

Good luck Kamna.
Virginie.