Monday, January 23, 2012

Pre-internship reflection

Hi Everyone,

My name is Steff and I am about to start my internship placement tomorrow! I was going to follow your leads and write my first post after my first day on the job but I can't sit still.
My placement is with Via Appia Networking WA, a little company situated in Northbridge. This company focuses on networking and building strong relationships between professionals. I remember when I first started PR and all that resonates in my head is Nigel repeating "networking, networking, networking" over and over. And now I've found work experience facilitating it! It just goes to show how important networking is in PR.

I landed this placement in the end of October last year. I started looking and applying around that time as I got quite nervous about not finding a placement for this unit. But I believe I was extremely lucky as a couple days after emailing Networking WA, I got a phonecall asking for an interview. And a couple days after that I landed the intern position! But as they break over Summer I am only just starting with them tomorrow.

I wanted to share my expectations of this placement now, and then after tomorrow I'll compare what really happened with what I expect to happen. As it is a small company, I'm hoping to be able to meet most of the people employed there tomorrow. I also hope that there will be close guidance for everything that I am required to do because it has been a while since last semester and my brains gone all mushy and I want there to be someone to help guide me if I need it. I am interested with looking into event management and I am told that as they deal with events for networking, I may be asked to assist with this - which I hope will happen so I can have a taste of what goes down!

Anyway enough ramble, I hope you're all having a lovely day and happy Chinese New Year!

Steff
Bentley Campus

No comments: