Saturday, January 14, 2012

More On My Workplace and What I Do

Hey all!

Chinese New Year is round the corner and things in the office just gets more and more hectic. Good news! My department just grew bigger with an additional staff! Now we have 3 people in our PR department (still small, I know). Oh, did I mention that my office is in Dempsey Hill? For those in Singapore, you may know where that is. For those who aren't Singaporean, here is pictures of Dempsey Hill and my office 'building'.

Dempsey Hill at Night



My Office 'Building'

Okay, a little bit more of where I work at. House, as what it is called, is where my office is. It is a block by it self at the back of Dempsey Hill. My office is at Level 1, on the right. The left side is the Restaurant, one of our brands. Above us, level 2, is Beauty Emporium where Spa Esprit, Strip and Browhaus is all conveniently located (which are part of the Group's). Here is a small part of Beauty Emporium.

Beauty Emporium

So basically, House (as they call it) is a one stop place where people can eat, relax, shop for beauty products and go for spa/waxing treatments. Yeap, its a cool place to work at especially with all the greenery surrounding it. When I'm stress, all I need to do is to step out and take deep breaths and admire the nature (hey, it really helps!).

So far, my internship gear more towards media liaison. We have no clients, no need for corporate PR and no proposals. What I do mostly is the PR for the many many different beauty and F&B brands under the group.

It is certainly not an easy job if you think media liaison is just getting in touch with the media. I guess it is an advantage that my boss has really good relationship with the media as it makes it easier to get them to try our new treatments/products/food. So from there, I liaise with the outlets and the media to make the necessary arrangements. Oh, also my boss is kind enough to allow me to answer any media's queries. I think this is a good start for me to learn how to properly address and promote the brand.

Till now, I have drafted a press release from scratch for Skinny Pizza's Turkey Galantine Pizza. I must say, what we learn in class does help. However this company's style of writing press releases is rather informal, which is good I think as the press will find it fresh.

Oh, I'll do a post on the various media hosting that I've been too real soon. Till then, Happy Chinese New Year to all my fellow chinese classmates. (:

xoxo,
Weiying
Curtin Singapore

2 comments:

Shu Rong said...

Hi Wei Ying,

It's good hearing that you are having so much fun in the course of this internship. I have not gotten the chance to draft a press release. Wonder how does it feel when the media use your press releases. However I got to do up a newsletter and it felt great and I was thrilled seeing the company using my idea for the titles and all. Do you feel this way too?

Hope to see your post on the media hosting soon! It would be a learning post for me as I haven't gotten a chance to do it.

Have a great Lunar New Year and have a great year ahead.

katie leong said...

Hi Wei Ying,

Its good to hear that you can find a place for you to relax when you are feeling stress! I feel stress too but I have no where to relieve my stress:( What i always do is to take toilet breaks! hahas.

Anyway, how is your press release? have it garnered any coverage yet? For the two press releases that I have helped out with have not garnered any media coverage yet. so sad.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Have a great and prosperous dragon year:)

Regards,
Katie