Wednesday, May 16, 2012

19 days to The Powerful Self Workshop

Today is 16 May, I have 18 days to go before the actual day of the workshop! I am organizing a workshop called The Powerful Self Workshop. I felt like I want to do something for the society and I believe having good core values are important. Hence I started my plan to work on a workshop which focuses on enriching youths' core values and to encourage them to work towards their dreams.

The idea is simple but the execution is tedious. I have to look for $23,000 sponsorship, I set a target of 300 youths to attend the workshop, I have to find a key note speaker, several guest speakers and coaches who can participate at the event at zero cost. I am in charge of all logistics, relationship management, plannings, executions, etc.

To my surprise, last Thursday, 3 beautiful ladies volunteered to help out my event! That is so unexpected and I totally felt so grateful! As the nearer the date towards the event, the more stuff there will be to rush on. I am glad that the 3 of them have different strengths and we can all work well together to make this workshop a success!!

Currently, my biggest worry is to secure the seats with 300 youths (16-25 years old) and also to have an additional requirement of $6,000 funding! I believe this target is still within my reach especially with the help of 3 helpful ladies!

The PR part which I used the most for this workshop is on my relationship with sponsors, volunteers, key note speaker, guest speakers, coaches and media.

The first publicity for The Powerful Self Workshop has been published last month at Macau's lifestyle magazine, Macau Closer. I was featured in the 3 page interview on the publication. I realized the importance of finding a newsworthy news angle, communicating your message clearly, contacting the right media person, follow up with the person and also to maintain a good relationship with the journalist. This is my first time being featured in media and I was so excited when I first saw it on the internet.

Another special experience was my interview with the National Youth Council to get their grant under the Young Change Maker Scheme. I prepared a powerpoint base on the workshop and presented the idea to a panel of 20 National Youth Council volunteers. It was a serious set up with everyone seated and expecting me to share interesting information to them about the workshop. I am glad that I am able to impress them. I received a message from one of their volunteers that my grant had been approved unofficially. However, they still have paper work to clear hence they are unable to announce it yet.

Yesterday, together with the girls, we went to print our flyers! It is done!

Girls, do check out our FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/113971555402091/

2 comments:

outofthiswerld said...

Hi Kylie. Wow, $ 23,000 is an incredibly large sum! Are you responsible for obtaining it on your own? I am close to ending my internship but didn't learn in fine detail how obtaining sponsorship works. The event sounds really exciting and for such a good cause. Good luck with it all! - Sarah

Kylie said...

Dear Sarah, Thanks for your reply! I had gotten 15k by myself so far. I have 3 girls who just join in to help me out with this event and they will also be helping to gain sponsorships as well. Gaining sponsorships aint easy. Hehe - Kylie