My 20-day internship is soon coming to an end. With only one day left after two and a half months of interning, I thought I would use my last blog post as a reflection of what I've learnt. I've worked on four major events, and a couple of small-scale events. One of the most interesting aspects of the internship was the research component. I really enjoyed researching the different topics that I wasn't familiar with before.
As my internship progressed, I noticed how different PR is at Uni and how different it is at 'work'. This was slightly relieving and slightly annoying. So much of what I have learnt at Uni is relevant to the professional practicing world but the aspect of Social Media has not been taught extensively, I realise this might be because it doesn't need to be.. Young adults already have the knowledge and drive to use Social Media professionally. But this might not be the case for mature students.
Writing in the professional world is also slightly different, for example the media release is taught as short, concise and a succinct piece of writing but this is not how I was taught to write in my work placement. I was told to write a story... develop an idea.. and provide a solution to an existing problem.
Overall, my internship was very insightful and I realised how much it makes a difference if you are learning and growing in a comfortable environment with lovely, talented and fun team members!
Even though events is an area that I am not looking to work in, this was a great experience and I look forward the windows of opportunity that await me!
Thanks for reading!
- Sarah Awan, Bentley Campus
1 comment:
Hi Sarah!
I was reading your blog post, and was agreeing to all the points you mentioned, even how you were taught to write media releases differently.. then I realised that you're interning at Networking WA and so was I!! Small world huh! I completely agree though, we already know the ins and outs of social media as it is part of our generation and I too was annoyed that we were taught differently of how to write useful press releases in uni when it is not what people are looking for in the real world. But hey, that's why doing this is so helpful!
Hope you've enjoyed interning at Networking WA as much as I did :D
Steff
Post a Comment