Hello Everyone :)
Its been a while since I posted my first blog about my placement with CEDA, my internship has finished and I have since then moved on to other opportunities which I will tell you all about in my next blog. But now I would like to take the chance and look back at my time with the CEDA girls.
So CEDA is a not for profit member based organisation that organises corporate themed events, i must say corporate events was never an option for me, working in the events industry. However they have opened my eyes, prior to beginning my placement I was thinking it was SO not me and how would I fit in ? CEDA puts together important events that beings together key figures from the public sector to discuss Australia's economic status. SO SERIOUS! but very admirable work. Some see CEDA as the middle man that brings different people in different industries and sectors in life to form a discussion forum that will answer the big questions you might say.
However since my time with them I saw them differently. They aren't just the mediator or middle man but something greater. One of the first question i posed to them was what happens when big executives frm BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, IMB etc come together to discuss improving productivity through innovation in Australia for example, do they just come and brag about their companies merits and technologies? THAT'S THE WAY I SAW IT! A bragging contest. But luckily that's not the case, CEDA takes a firm stand against such acts, they formalise the event in such a way so questions are posed to the panel and where bragging is not tolerated. It becomes a lucrative opportunity for people from business sector to meet and actually address key issues and find solutions,. The 5 weeks I was with CEDA I participated in 2-3 events each week and witnessed this for myself.
With only 3 full time employees and myself, the small team worked very well together and communication is easy. I felt really comfortable with the girls, they would hold regular team briefing and meeting to go over past events and the relevant closeouts, any problems that arose with venues, catering etc and how to deal with them respectively solved by the week out.
Working on my project took most and my time in the office and the rest of the time we set about getting ready for the events of that week week which include logistics like run sheets, checklist, name badges, place cards, registrations, meal requirements, database entries, invoices and so on so on. I would work 9AM to 5PM four days a week but the girls mostly stayed back most days. Organising for a 250+ attendees event at ballrooms really took it out you by the end of the week. You hear that that event managements is really is not a 9 to 5 job all the time, and you have to love what you do or else its a nightmare but it didn't quite hit me until I realised it happening, your glued to your desk even eating at it most times just to take the overwhelming amount of calls and queries coming through.
I must say this opportunity has greatly improved my phone skills and my communication, something small like answering calls has given me great skill. I feel as though I no longer hesitant to ask questions and have become more confident in my work and ability. Just being around women who have established their careers in the the events industry has invigorated my drive and passion to start my own business which I will share more with you next time..
Its been so great reading about everyone's experience! I wish you all the very best.
What a great unit!
Until next time
X
Suleeka
No comments:
Post a Comment