Before
- To propagate event awareness outside of the assigned media channels and schedule.
- To encourage attendance and remind attendees of the date on their preferred channels.
- To extend the reach and value of individual activities which might not otherwise be seen.
During
- To support and respond to users of Twitter and Facebook.
- To remind, promote and propagate activities on the day through Twitter/Facebook.
- To alert staff and pass queries or conversations of interest.
- To monitor conversation and comments and feedback for future event use.
- To identify and intercept any potential issues/alerts raised in social exchanges.
After
- Collection of statistics from social media on the day.
Other aspects of the social media plan included examples, 20 core messages, and 100 extra messages to raise awareness of specific activities on the day, to be spread over the Curtin Facebook and Twitter accounts.
I believe that social media is a really important and easy way to communicate with a large audience of people. Curtin has used social media in previous years on their Open Day and had a lot of success with it. Goals for this year's event was to trend on Twitter, and respond to every question and comment posted to the Curtin Facebook page and Twitter account. I met with the Digital Media Unit (DMU) in order to discuss these points, and how the social media plan would work on the day of the event, so that every one knew which role they would be undertaking on the day. As Curtin is such a massive institution, there are so many people involved in the planning of the Open Day. I've found this really different to other work I've done within smaller organisations, such as the MS Society of WA, but also really exciting. There are always so many people working with you on particular projects, which makes for more innovative and exciting ideas. This has shown to me how important clear and regular communication is. Asha and I meet with people in different areas of Public Relations and Marketing approximately three times a day, in order to keep on top of any new information or projects.
1 comment:
Hi Chloe,
Working with social media in a PR context would be very interesting, and more fun than other aspects of PR I imagine! I didn't realise there was so much involved in this, but with a large event like Open Day it's fitting that a lot of time be spent on this.
I think it's interesting that people might think that organisation's social media outlets like Twitter and Facebook are just updated and looked at in the spare time of someone in marketing or admin. However it sounds like the Digital Media Unit put in a lot of work into research, implementation and evaluation of these communication tools.
I think that in coming years there may even be more emphasis at University of social media management as a form of PR on its own, alongside media relations and crisis management.
Best of luck with Open Day and the rest of your internship!
Carrie Burns
Post a Comment