As I finish up and finalise the end of my internship, I pack
away all my new tools into my PR tool kits and realise how much the last 6
months alone have taught me. After 3 years of university you would think you
would know the bulk of it and that there really could not be that much more to
learn.
We get degrees at uni, doesn’t that mean we should know it
all? (Or at least most of it?)
Of course not, the Curtin Public Relations degree most
definitely has played its role in my education into the field of PR and even if
I were to spend another three years here I would still walk out into the real
world with so much more to learn.
Public Relations is an ever-expanding profession, one that
is viewed so differently by many people and plays such a different role in each
industry and each individual business. No public relations job will be the same
as the next and every new position will require a whole new skill set on top of
the foundations we take away from uni.
This internship has showed me that we will forever have new
ideas to come up with, new challenges to face, but the key is to never stop
learning and actively taking any steps to further your education whether it be
in the industry you work in or specifically about the work you do.
It is a big scary place out there in the big wide world but
I finally am ready to take my degree and my industry experience and face the
world with my head held high, ready to tackle any challenge it decides to throw
my way.
Good luck to all Graduating PR students, I am sure many of
us will cross paths in this little place of Perth.
3 comments:
I could not agree more with your comments about what your internship has shown you about the role of public relations forever changing.
Throughout my placement at Scitech my supervisors went to several lectures on various topics relating to public relations, which really opened my eyes to the fact that in working in this industry, we have to constantly keep updating our skills to keep up.
Good luck with graduation and your future career!
Everything you've written is exactly what I was thinking as the conclusion of my internship drew closer to concluding.
You are so right in saying that we have not learnt the half of it! PR is such an extensive field, that is ever-changing. Especially with the introduction of new technologies and social media forms - there is no way university could teach us all of that!
I would say that i've completed my degree with the skills and knowledge in the fundamentals of PR, nothing more, nothing less.
This unit, however has provided much needed experience and opened up so many more questions of which can only be answered come more industry experience!
Good luck for the future and congratulations on graduating.
Hi!
I totally agree with you, this is what I was thinking when I completed my internship.
The ever changing field of PR is a challenge, but I plan to take this challenge head on. Instead of dreading that I won't know anything when I start my professional life, I am going to try and soak up new information like a sponge.
Good luck with everything!
Lucy
Post a Comment