A few months ago saw me start the beginning of my internship at the Perth Wildcats. Whilst I have definitely been fortunate in having a great place to intern at (who would say no to meeting the players? :p ) I am now saying goodbye to my university years and heading in to the big (and often scary) real world.
My experience with the Wildcats has been invaluable. I have learnt so much more than I ever could have imagined. When I first stepped foot into the club office I was extremely nervous, anxious and excited at the same time. I didn't have any idea what sort of PR had taken place thus far or what PR was in place at that time. After the first few weeks being involved in many different aspects of the club such as coming face to face with the players themselves, dealing with people in the public eye, being involved with the many campaigns that were running, answering questions from the public and general administration of the club I found myself looking back and realising I had learnt more than what I thought I had.
These are just a few of the lessons I have learnt throughout my experience.
1/ Observe: Open your eyes to things you wouldn't normally notice. This is an opportunity of a lifetime. Observe how other employees conduct themselves. Observe how they conduct themselves around potential stakeholders. Observe how the Managing Director speaks to his employees and observe how those in a position you would like to be in one day conduct themselves and how they handle the tasks given to them.
2/ Don't be afraid to ask: It's the advice everyone has heard but is so true. Asking questions can often be one of the most intimidating things to do but really, it's the only way to learn. You can never ask too many questions and I know I felt silly at times asking so many but I am grateful I did as I wouldn't have come out knowing half the things I do now.
3/ Be professional at all times: This may sound obvious and common sense-like but I found myself being constantly mindful of this. It may have been because I was surrounded by people who are constantly in the public eye such as the players themselves, the managing director, Nick Marvin, and the owner of the club, Jack Bendat. One must conduct themselves in both a professional and ethical manner when in the workplace as you never know who may walk in.
Overall I had a wonderful time during my experience and have been asked to stay on one day a week.
Thank you,
Nicole
3 comments:
This sounds like a great internship opportunity at such a growing sporting club.
And Nicole, this is just the beginning of your PR journey.
This sounds like a great internship opportunity at such a growing sporting club.
And Nicole, this is just the beginning of your PR journey.
Hi Nicole,
It's great that the Wildcats have asked you to stay on! That's the fantastic proof that your hard work has paid off and that you're now an invaluable member of their team. I completely agree with what you said about not being afraid to ask – it's something we're always told, but it's certainly a lot more daunting than it sounds. I too have learnt about the importance in just asking – whether it's for information that you feel silly about not knowing, or whether it's for something much deserved, like a raise or just a break!
It's been great keeping up with your journey, and I hope this end is the beginning of something much more incredible.
Nicole
Post a Comment