Hi everyone,
I thought it was a good idea that some students had posted a general/introduction blog and so I thought I would follow this trend before writing posts specifically related to my internship.
My name is Rebecca Keating and I am in my final semester studying a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Public Relations and Marketing at Curtin's Bentley campus.
I am doing my internship at a wonderful consultancy called Platform Communications.
After I had finished my exams for Semester one I started to become quite stressed at the thought of applying for and finding a suitable internship to complete for the Professional Placement unit in Semester two.
I really didn't know how to apply, who to apply to and most of all- what to do about my full time job. I put if off for a while and then decided I had worked so hard during my studies and wanted to get out of the world of retail so I decided that I needed to put graduating university at the top of my list, and for this- I needed an internship!
A wonderful friend of mine gave me a list of some great consultancies and organisations who use in-house consultants to apply to. She gave me the advice of applying off my own back and if this went no where she could then step in and help me.
So off I went and applied for a whole load of places. Most were great and got back to me within a couple of days letting me know they had filled their intern positions. A couple of directors even personally responded with a list of other places to try. So I did this and sent out some more applications.
I sent an application to Platform Communications (a firm I was recommended to try) and the next day I had a phone call with an interview lined up for two days later where I was then offered the position on the spot.
On this particular Friday I went straight to my retail job after my interview, handed in my notice and started at Platform the following week ready to be briefed about the in-kind project I am working on.
Platform Communications is a small consultancy who provide many aspects of communications, marketing and design to their clients, specialising in the energy and resource sector.
Within Platform I am predominantly working on an in-kind project; the Toodyay Picnic Race Day to increase exposure of the event, gain sponsorship and showcase the town of Toodyay to local community members and visitors from Perth. I also help with any other work that comes up and assist the director and seniors in making sure that their work life is running smoothly- often the biggest challenge of all!
I am learning a huge amount of things every day and I will be sure to share some tips and tricks in my upcoming blog posts.
I hope everyone has had success in finding a great internship opportunity.
Until next time-
Rebecca.
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
2 comments:
Hi Rebecca,
I enjoyed reading your original blog post above as I have previously done an internship at Platform Communications. My experience there was two years ago now where I worked under the senior consultants for eight weeks. I really enjoyed gaining an insight into the life of a PR consultant and learnt fairly quickly that it is a busy role often involving working until all hours! I hope you enjoy the internship and gain valuable experience from it.
Rebecca
Hi Rebecca,
I'm glad to know that you also experienced working until all hours!
The consultancy is such a fast-paced, busy atmosphere that is great for learning but it does often get a little bit overwhelming trying to take so much in.
Are you completing another internship this semester?
Rebecca
Post a Comment