Monday, March 23, 2015

To New and Exciting Beginnings!

Hi guys!

To start things off first my name is Adina and I’m currently studying a double major of Events Management and Public Relations. As a student studying these majors I’ve always found myself leaning towards volunteering at events as an event assistant rather than interning in a PR related role. As a part of my degree and many others on here reading this, you would all know that it is compulsory to complete the Public Relations Internship Unit. Having this in mind I was determined to find a placement as it is my last semester of uni and I wasn’t going to stay for another semester if I couldn’t find one.

At first it was quite daunting when applying for placements, as I have never done any PR related work in the ‘real’ world. I had to think about “What kind of industry do I want to be in?” “Where are their main offices located?” and “Would I be completing the placement part time or full time?” Applying for an internship was all new to me but like they say “there’s a first time for everything” and everyone must start somewhere.

I’ve linked another blog post below, which I found to be quite useful and gave good tips for when I was applying for my placement. Since this being my last semester tip number 3 was very important for myself.



Anyways, after many attempts of searching and applying for a placement, I finally found one! With semester 1 way on its way, I begin my internship with KAAT Events and PR. For myself, finding this placement was perfect because they are a combination of the two things I am familiar with; events and PR. Although the PR Internship Unit provides some internship opportunities I did not find my placement through Curtin, instead through word of mouth.  

KAAT Events and PR are an events business that also provides PR consultation for up and coming business owners who wish to gain more knowledge about PR and how they can use PR practices to better their business. Since only opening last year I was lucky enough to intern with such a newly established small business. Some people many be hesitant to be in my position, however I see it as a great opportunity because while the business grows I’ll grow with it. Another perk for working in a small business is that your success is more visible, however in saying that, failure is also more visible (no pressure on me at all..). Interning in a small business will likely mean that I’ll have a variety of responsibilities. At times I may find it difficult and stressful, however I am most certainly up for the new challenges ahead.

Can’t wait to keep updating you guys and until next time cheers!




No comments: